The Raiders, a non-profit organization, skate out of SkateQuest of Reston. It is a twin-rink facility just off the Dulles Toll Road in Reston, well-positioned to serve the Northern Virginia and metro D.C. area. Read More
Raiders House Program Details for 2020-2021 Season
Outlined below is the current plan for the 2020-21 house season given the current return to play guidelines from the state of VA and USA Hockey. Also outlined below are the current guidelines from Skatequest as well as the Raiders COVID19 policy. Keep in mind these guidelines are subject to change based on the increase or decrease in the COVID19 case numbers.
In order to confirm your player's spot in the House program, confirm your player's current 2020-21 USAH # and pay the program fees.
To update your player's USAH #: once signed in, select your player's name listed in your family account, then scroll down and enter their current USAH # and submit.
To pay your balance, select Edit My Account from the bottom of the website left menu, scroll down and follow prompts to pay the balance no later than Monday, 9/7/2020.
If you have any questions about registration/payment, please email
Overall Concept due to COVID19: We have had to make some modifications to the structure of the league and the start of the season. The modifications to the normal beginning season events are detailed below. We will start with practices structured by the league. The normal start of game play is usually the first weekend in October. This will be pushed back to late October. The weekend game slots will be used for additional practice time up until the time games begin. There are also additional rink restrictions detailed below.
Evaluations: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will not be scheduling formal evaluations for this season. Players will be evaluated during the first several practices.
On Ice: As much as possible players will be placed in pods for practice. If there are two teams practicing on the ice they will not be mixed for drills. This procedure has been implemented for travel practices and will continue for house practices.
Coaches: All coaches must wear masks when on the ice and in the facility. We will limit the number of coaches on benches during games to two. One coach may be stationed off the bench area to deal with equipment and other issues that come up.
House Draft: In past years, the draft was scheduled following evaluations. This season, players will be grouped for practices. After several weeks of practices, players will be broken into teams for game play.
Jamboree: Unlike past years we will not be holding a jamboree. The rink guidelines will not permit a jamboree. The start of actual game play will be delayed giving the coaches of each league more time to evaluate players during practices.
Below are the updated details about the start of the 2020-21 House League season. Thank you for your patience as we are getting the league underway in the most unique circumstances we have ever faced. Based on the registrations, some age group divisions were adjusted.
8U: 10 teams
Practices: Monday or Friday,
Games: Saturday mornings. Note until games start Saturday morning slots will also be used for practice.
Starting Date: Saturday October 3rd.
10U/12U minor (birth years 2009, 2010, 2011): 4 teams
Games: Saturday mornings.
Starting Date: Saturday, October 3rd.
12U major/14U (birth years 2008, 2007, and 2006): 4 teams
Starting date: Sunday October 4th
16U/18U (birth years 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002): 4 v 4 games (NON-CHECKING / one session per week)
First session for this league will be Sunday, October 4th
NOTE: 16U/18U has 1 session per week, initially practices/evaluations, then 4v4 non-checking games one time per week.
* Registration for 16U/18U is still open.
Each family will receive an email within the next week with their designated practice time to start the season. Skatequest COVID19 guidelines do not allow us to hold traditional evaluations skates. Coaches will use the first 3 to 4 practices of the season to assess each player’s skill and form to competitively balance teams. Your practice time may shift slightly but will likely not change days.
The Raiders will hold an informational Zoom meeting on Monday, September 28th at 7PM where we will answer any questions about the season and provide an update to the return to play procedures given the current COVID19 guidelines. The Zoom link is below.
Please direct all questions to
Zoom link for parents meeting:
Topic: Reston Raiders House Parents Meeting
Time: Sep 28, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
+13126266799,,89169227540#,,,,,,0#,,986346# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,,89169227540#,,,,,,0#,,986346# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
Meeting ID: 891 6922 7540
SkatequestHealth Screening and Rink Guidelines:
· We have worked closely with our Skatequest rink partners and will be following their guidelines for all players, parents, coaches and others that will be coming in and out of the rink during tryouts.
· All people coming in and out of the rink will need to adhere to the following guidelines:
· All players may need to arrive at the rink dressed to skate, with the exception of skates, helmets and gloves. Details about locker room availability will be confirmed.
· All people entering into the rink will need to use the designated entrances and exits for either the NHL or Olympic rink
· Players, parents and coaches will not be able to enter their respective rink or check-in until 20 minutes prior to the start of the scheduled sessions.
· Upon entering the rink, EVERYONE must be wearing a mask!! Players will be able to remove their masks when they put on their helmet and then proceed to the bench area for their practice session.
· Masks must be worn by everyone else while in the rink.
· There will be a no-touch temperature check and brief health screening administered by the SkateQuest staff. Players should plan to remain in their vehicles with their parents in the air conditioning prior to entering to ensure their temp is normal should it be extremely hot outside
· Once inside the rink players/parents must proceed to their assigned rink. Maintain social distance in the stands and rink area.
· Players should bring re-sealable water bottles that are already filled with them to the rink and labeled with their names. The water fountains will not be accessible and no water bottles should be shared. When placing the water bottles spread out along the bench area.
· Locker Rooms will be closed, all players must come to the rink dressed to play.
· ONE PARENT PER PLAYER will be allowed in the rink with a max capacity of 50 parents on the NHL Rink and 40 parents on the Olympic Rink.
· Once the practice sessions are over players must place their masks back on, remove their skates and exit the rink through the designated exit as quickly as possible. This will allow the rink staff may do the required cleaning and then allow the next group to enter the rink.
If you have any additional questions about the fall house league, please email the house director at